The Class 1 & 2 Test and Tag Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is a comprehensive document outliningsafety inspection and testing of Class 1 and 2 electrical equipment in the workplace, using a portable appliance tester (PAT), with electronic push-button/function key testing functionality. Includes equipment (including in-service equipment) connected to a general power outlet (GPO) by either a permanently connected flexible power supply or a detachable flexible power supply cord.
- Class 1 equipment is protectively earthed with a 3-pin plug. Examples could be photocopiers, heavy duty hand tools, generally larger/heavier items or items designed for commercial use.
There is potential for damage/injury if an Insulation Only Tester is used.
A licensed electrician is required for testing using an ohmmeter.
- Class 2 equipment is protected by double insulation and will normally be fitted with a 2-pin plug. Examples of Class 2 equipment could be desktop computers, laptop computers, typically small electrical appliances with a detachable power supply.
Equipment with power surge devices fitted may give false results and additional testing may be required.
If ever you are unsure, seek advice from a licensed Engineer/Electrician.
This SWMS includes:
- Safety Notes
- Pre-Operational Inspection
- New Electrical Equipment
- Emergency Procedures
- Initial Tests
- Earthing and Insulation Testing
- Leakage Testing
This SWMS is ready to use and is not a blank template. Simply add your company details, ABN, and include any site specific details or risks and make it specific to the task at hand. It is then ready for printing and to be incorporated as part of your overall WHS System.
- Written by ex WHS inspectors
- Risk ratings before and after control measures
- MS Word format NOT PDF
- Task specific and site specific details easy to add
- Includes easy to complete boxes for Company details and project details
- Employee sign off section
- Review Date: 14 March 2014
- Manual Handling – Hazardous Manual Tasks
- Test and Tag – RCDs
- Test and Tag – Cords – PAT
- Working around Electricity
This document has been developed and provided by SafetyCulture Pty Ltd and is offered for sale by ACRIS Services who are licensed resellers for Australia. SafetyCulture employ former WorkSafe Inspectors to research and write documents ensuring safe work practices can be understood and followed by employees performing high risk activities in the course of their duties. SafetyCulture's mission is to make Safety A Way Of Life for workers across the world by providing documentation through software and printable files.
SWMS - Safe Work Method Statement
Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) are required for any high risk activity that is performed by an employee in the workplace. Each document must identify the risks involved when performing the activity, a risk rating for each risk, a safe work method to perform the activity and a residual risk rating for the risks. SafetyCulture SWMS comply with current WH&S legislation in all states across Australia. This document is fully completed with a step by step procedure that can be edited and appended. This is not a blank template, it is a comprehensive procedure that has been researched and developed by a qualified writer.